Organized in 1894 by twelve Haddonfield women who sought social, cultural, educational and literary opportunities for women in the community. The club’s history intertwined with the building in 1922 when it was adapted for shared uses with the Civic Association. In 1931, it was purchased outright by The Haddon Fortnightly and remains in their possession and under their care today.
The Haddon Fortnightly is situation in downtown of Historic Haddonfield and hosts hundreds of private and public events every year. For more information including rentals, tours, and membership, visit our contact page.
The preservation and maintenance by The Haddon Fortnightly has given the community a sense of permanence and heritage. Though updated throughout the years to meet the needs of its membership, the building’s importance as an historical site, which tells the tale of the community at large and the women who influenced it, is reflected in its being on both the State and National Historical site registries.
Originally built as the First Methodist Church, it remained a house of worship for fifty four years
The building became a meeting place for the Artisans Order of Mutual Protection, a fraternal order.
The Civic Association and women of The Haddon Fortnightly, the organization which bears the same name as the building, purchased it as a town meeting place.
The Civic Association sold the building outright to the Fortnightly who made it their clubhouse.
The Haddon Fortnightly was placed on both the New Jersey and National Register for Historic Places.
Since it’s inception in 1894, the organization aims to provide women from communities across South Jersey with opportunities for engagement in philanthropic and community improvement activities, intellectual stimulation, the development of leadership skills, and civic and social interaction.
On September 21, 1894, a group of twelve women met at the home of Miss Margaret Bancroft in Haddonfield to establish a center for “the promotion of the educational, literary and social interests of women”. They named this group “The Haddon Fortnightly”.
Meetings were held every two weeks, hence the name fortnightly. In 1896, the group became affiliated with State and General Federation of Women’s Clubs so that it could participate in national projects.
In 1925, with membership greatly expanded, this group of public-spirited women incorporated the pursuit of “civic interests of the community” into their objectives.
Meetings were held in member’s homes at first, but soon the Grand Army of the republic Hall at 40 Chestnut street was used, and after that, the Indian King was the meeting place for twenty-six years. The current building was purchased in 1931 and became the club’s permanent headquarters.
The Evening Department was established in 1936 for women unable to attend afternoon meetings.
The Haddon Fortnightly celebrated it’s 125th anniversary since it’s inception on September 19, 2019.